The Northern Illinois Conference of United Methodist Churches will sponsor an informational seminar on Global Warming in response to the current scientific data indicating that climate change will have a significant impact on human kind. Anyone interested in understanding more about global warming are invited to attend.
An array of subject matter surrounding the issue will be presented by well qualified speakers.
- Dr. Jan P. Hessler, Research Professor at IIT will address the science of Global Warming and Solutions,
- Rebecca Stanfield, State Director of Environment Illinois, will speak on Climate Hazards,
- Brian Urbaszewski, Director of Environmental Health Programs, Respiratory Health Association of Metropolitan Chicago, will address the Public Health Impact,
- Christy Smith of United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) will give perspective on disaster relief, and
- Dr. Jonathan Dean, Associate Pastor at Downers Grove First United Methodist Church will speak about the Theological Basis for Addressing Global Warming.
- Participating in an action panel discussion and question and answer session will be Rebecca Stanfield, Environment Illinois, Lonnie Morris, Sierra Club, Rev. Clare Butterfield Executive Director of Faith in Place, and Dave Schulz Co-chairperson of the Environmental Stewardship Committee at Downers Grove First UMC.
The event will be held on Saturday, April 19, 8:30 AM – 1:00 PM, at First United Methodist Church, 1032 Maple Ave., Downers Grove. The event is free of charge, but attendees are asked to pre-register for planning purposes by calling the church office, 630-968-7120.